Dr. Barry Burns — Futures, options, and trend trader for 50+ years
Smarter Trading Podcast Episode 14
In this episode Barry breaks down the many different trading strategies that he uses to invest his money and his family’s pension plan. He talks about swing trading markets using options, selling credit spreads, day trading futures, and investing over the long-term based on major growth trends and fundamental analysis.
Barry then walks us through the five energies of the market that he uses to track money flow. He outlines each energy and describes how he uses them to place high probability trend trades.
This episode has a little bit of something for everyone, so please enjoy this episode with Dr. Barry Burns.
This episode is sponsored by Investor’s Business Daily
I don’t need to tell you that the key to succeeding in the stock market is having a system and sticking to it. That’s where Investor’s Business Daily comes in. IBD has helped investors navigate every market cycle with their time-tested methodology for over 35 years.
Right now Smarter Trading podcast listeners can get their first 2 months of IBD Digital, a subscription service that gives you access to IBD’s proprietary market analysis and top trade ideas for only $20 by signing up at investors.com/evan.
Watch the interview in video here
Episode show notes and Barry’s book recommendations
- A Random Walk Down Wall Street: The Time-Tested Strategy for Successful Investing Malkiel, Burton Amazon.com: Books
- Trend Trading For Dummies Burns, Barry Amazon.com: Books
Key learning points & timestamps
- 0:00 Introduction
- 2:20 Barry’s typical trading day; routine, preparation
- 11:10 How Barry grew up swing trading and using fundamental analysis
- 17:30 Barry’s approach to the markets today
- 21:10 Trading futures: trend trading, and reversion to the mean
- 30:45 The five energy model for high probability trend trading
- 41:10 Trading volatility — expansion and contraction of volatility
- 44:00 Different trading strategies & finding what resonates with you
- 52:40 New trends and emerging markets and technologies
Highlight clip: 5 Energies of high probability trend trading
Enjoy what you listened to? Share it below and be sure to tag @thetraderisk.