Kunal Desai — Momentum based day trading strategies
Smarter Trading Podcast Episode 16
Our guest today is Kunal Desai. Kunal is an American stock trader and CEO of Bulls on Wall Street, an online trading academy. He began trading in 1999 and has spent most of career perfecting momentum based day-trading strategies.
In this episode we talk all about what it takes to day trade stocks. Kunal shares lessons he learned from his early days, the importance of finding mentors, and why being accountable is a winning trait for a trader.
He then dives into his trading philosophy, stressing the importance of combining fundamental catalysts with technicals, and how he prefers to focus on the macro health of the market for his swing trading.
During the last 20 minutes we switch gears and dive into cryptocurrency where Kunal shares tips and strategies for trading digital assets.
Kunal brings a lot of energy and positivity to this episode and If you’re an active, tactical trader, this one’s for you.
Please enjoy this episode with Kunal Desai.
This episode is sponsored by Investor’s Business Daily
I don’t need to tell you that the key to succeeding in the stock market is having a system and sticking to it. That’s where Investor’s Business Daily comes in. IBD has helped investors navigate every market cycle with their time-tested methodology for over 35 years.
Right now Smarter Trading podcast listeners can get their first 2 months of IBD Digital, a subscription service that gives you access to IBD’s proprietary market analysis and top trade ideas for only $20 by signing up at investors.com/evan.
Watch the interview in video here
Apple podcasts | YouTube | Spotify | Google | Amazon
Key learning points & timestamps
- 0:00 Introduction
- 2:40 Being a humble trader and having fun trading
- 5:15 Trading knowledge, putting in the screen time, & mentors
- 10:00 Creating accountability with your trading
- 13:20 Kunal’s trading approach: trends, catalysts, and macro plays
- 16:55 Swing trading philosophy using market internals
- 20:45 Day trading strategies and philosophies
- 23:10 The importance of trading with a catalyst
- 31:40 controlling emotions and the self-talk as a day trader
- 37:50 Looking at your PNL throughout the day
- 40:25 Looking for range in stocks and the dangers of small caps
- 49:15 Trading cryptocurrency opportunities, risks, time-frames
- 55:30 Diversification is overrated & stop paying so much attention to the Fed
Highlight clip: Combining fundamental catalysts with technical patterns
Enjoy what you listened to? Share it below and be sure to tag @thetraderisk.
Posted in Podcast
Tagged with Day Trading, Discretionary Trading, Market Breadth, Market Environments, Momentum Trading, Price Action, Swing Trading, Technical Analysis, Trading for Beginners, Trading Psychology
Leave a Comment