Patrick Walker — Live episode sharing market analysis & answering your questions
Smarter Trading Podcast Episode 18
Patrick is the founder of Mission Winners. He has had the privilege of meeting and learning from legendary traders like: Martin Zweig, Bill O’ Neil, and Ed Seykota. He was an IBD Meetup co-leader and most importantly, he is a family man, happily married with 4 kids.
In Patrick’s own words, “My trading and approach to investing is “stolen.” It’s taken from the greats. I’ve tweaked and fine-tuned it over the years. Nevertheless, I owe much to all of them. I love to learn. Love to teach. Love to inspire. Love to help. That is why I’m here.”
In this special live episode of Smarter Trading, host Evan Medeiros and special guest Patrick Walker, are on camera, sharing their screens, chatting about the current market environment, trade opportunities, and answering your questions.
This episode is sponsored by Investor’s Business Daily
I don’t need to tell you that the key to succeeding in the stock market is having a system and sticking to it. That’s where Investor’s Business Daily comes in. IBD has helped investors navigate every market cycle with their time-tested methodology for over 35 years.
Right now Smarter Trading podcast listeners can get their first 2 months of IBD Digital, a subscription service that gives you access to IBD’s proprietary market analysis and top trade ideas for only $20 by signing up at investors.com/evan.
Watch the interview in video here
Key learning points & timestamps
- 0:00 Stream waiting
- 1:10 Introduction
- 5:05 Year to date 2022 market stats
- 7:00 Patrick Walker’s market analysis: S&P500 and Nasdaq 100
- 17:50 Hedging a portfolio versus stop losses and raising cash
- 20:50 Sector and industry analysis
- 30:20 Q&A: Subpar stocks in strong sectors
- 37:15 Q&A: Looking for weakness and shorting stocks
- 42:47 Q&A: Trading chart patterns versus moving averages
- 46:10 Q&A: Using EMAs crossovers for entries and exits
- 48:15 Q&A: How many stocks should someone hold from the same sector
- 50:47 Q&A: Swing versus trend trading
- 53:20 Q&A: What kinds of returns can you make trading in a year?
- 58:25 Where to find Patrick Walker
Highlight clip: What kinds of trading returns are possible in a year?
Enjoy what you listened to? Share it below and be sure to tag @thetraderisk.
Posted in Podcast
Tagged with Chart Patterns, Discretionary Trading, Entries and Exits, Fundamental Analysis, Leading Stocks, Managing Trades, Market Environments, Moving Averages, Position Size, Price Action, Stop Losses, Swing Trading, Technical Analysis, Trade Setups, Trading for Beginners, Trend Following, Volume